On 2nd September, 2015, it was notified by the CBDT that the due date for filing return of income for all assesses who were required to file their returns electronically by 31st August, 2015 had been extended to 07th September, 2015.
Many people seem to have missed the fact that the extension has been granted only for those who were required to file their returns electronically and not to all taxpayers. The extension, therefore, applies only to the following:
- Individual or HUF filing return of income in ITR 3 or ITR 4, that is, earning income from being Partners in Firm or having income from proprietorship business, but not liable for tax audit;
- Resident individual having income from any source outside India;
- Individual claiming any relief under DTAA with another jurisdiction;
- Individuals filing return in Form ITR 1 or ITR 2 and having total income in excess of INR 5 Lakhs or claiming refund of taxes;
- Firm not liable for tax audit u/s 44AB.
The extension of due date for filing return of income does not apply to those who were required to file their return of income by 31st August, 2015 but who do not fall in the above category.
Proteus Consultants and I are not responsible for any and all losses, claims, damages and liabilities arising out of or related to following anything that may be posted in this blog. If you rely upon anything posted here, you do so at your sole risk and responsibility.